Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Is this what they call an Irish Spring?

The soap company that decided to name its product Irish Spring could have easily called the sudsy bar Irish Winter or Irish Fall, as there doesn't seem to be any difference whatsoever between the three seasons, from my eight months of experience living here.

Ireland is all rain, all cool temperatures, all wind. That's okay in the winter, as it's quite similar to a Northern California winter. But I have been wearing thick socks for eight months straight; my toes are pasty white and gasping for some warm, fresh air, which they are accustomed to enjoying every year by March -- because three months of winter hibernation is really all you get in Northern California -- and me and my toes like it that way.

Damon and I went to Prague for three days last weekend, leaving the cool, rainy, damp Ireland behind us for some sun in the Czech Republic. We savored one day in Prague without a cloud in the sky, and my entire body loved every warming second of the day. When we got off the plane in Dublin, I didn't see a cloud, the air was still and quite warm...it almost felt like summer. I turned to Damon and asked, "Are we in Ireland?"

I guess Ireland just skips Spring -- or maybe the weather is different this year -- but I didn't see much change in the weather from January to April. Then May 5th arrived...and summer debuted along with it. Someone in the sky flipped a switch, and suddenly, magically, we have warmth. I knew the Galwegians would be going crazy here. It was about 22 degrees yesterday (71-72 degrees), so they were all out at the beach, girls in bikinis and guys in their swim trunks. You would think it was 85 degrees out, but hey -- these people haven't seen 70 degrees since probably last August. It was definitely the hottest day I've ever experienced here.

I went to French class last night with slip-on sneakers -- NO SOCKS! I wore a tee shirt and capri pants. I felt like an eskimo on vacation in the Caribbean for the first time...strange, out of place. I hadn't walked outside without three layers of clothes and a hood since September. I hope it doesn't end, but I fear that the rain and wind will return soon. The silver lining? We are going to Barcelona in less than two weeks. I am certain I'll be able to wear sandals and shorts for three days: I CANNOT WAIT.

No comments: