Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Baby Rave? You've got to be shitting me


The title of this blog says it all.

I was researching the event calendar for the 2008 St. Patrick's Day Celebration in Dublin, which Damon and I plan to attend March 15-17 to celebrate my 34th birthday. I found an event calendar listing I thought said "Babe Rave @ Temple Bar." I was expecting a dance party with lots of beautiful girls. I googled it, and found nothing. Then Damon said, "Are you sure it's not a Baby Rave? They just had one of those at Leisureland last week."

He was right. As part of this year's St. Patrick's Day festivities, there will be Baby Raves held on two nights.

Have you ever heard of a Baby Rave? If you google "baby rave" only Irish and U.K. web sites come up on the first page. They are all the rage here in Ireland, because half the population is between 20-35 and popping out kids left and right. Throw an adult bash with lots of loud music and dancing, but bring your kids. Just because you're parents doesn't mean you can't party anymore, right? Americans are too uptight to think this is cool and host such events. It wasn't too long ago in the U.S. that Happy Hour Playdates were profiled in many top media outlets, questioning mommies' morals for enjoying a glass of wine and good conversation while their tots played Lego.



The EuroMattsons raise a pint of Guinness to you and say, "Craic on, Baby Ravers." We salute you, but we childless couples may never join you in your follies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are the links for the venue info: http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cms/events_babyrave.html
http://www.myspace.com/belfastbabyrave

Anonymous said...

:[ I think this is AWESOME, and I'm American. Of course there isnt many people into techno here... so that may be part of the reason. We have baby discos.. but those are kind of weird to have (its not quite the 70s anymore..) and haven't caught on.