Friday, December 7, 2007

Irish Radio: Back to the Future?

Irish radio is where all bad (and once popular) American music comes to die. It's fascinating to us that DJs on the Top 40 radio stations will play Rihanna, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake or Beyonce, mixed in with some of our country's hits and misses from the 80s. It's an unexpected time warp that's not necessarily welcomed on the commute home from work, at least for Americans.

What we've heard on Irish radio recently:

- "Living on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi
- "I'm Bad" - Michael Jackson
- "Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go" - Wham
- "Gonna Make You Sweat" - C+C Music Factory
- "You Can't Hurry Love" - Phil Collins
- "Land of Confusion" - Phil Collins
- "Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey
- "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" - Journey

Sadly, it seems the Irish love two of my most hated singers of all time: Phil Collins and Steve Perry. Thank God I haven't heard any songs from Live yet on the radio, although that's a band with a few hits in the 1990s. My least favorite band of that decade and surprisingly, one of Damon's all-time favorites. One of the few things in life we disagree about is Live. "Lightning Crashes" ruined it for me. Those lyrics suck. Damon: I love you, but you are smokin' crack if you think this band is worth a hoot. I digress.

Also, I know a few of these artists are not Americas, per se, but I went ahead and included them under the umbrella of "American music." Sorry to all you die hard music history buffs out there. :)

No comments: